林文郎老師的網站 -- 威廉亨利-打不倒的勇者
:::
威廉亨利-打不倒的勇者

打不倒的勇者 ( INVICTUS

 

── 威廉亨利,1875 ──

 

Out of the night that covers me       夜幕低垂將我籠罩
Black as the Pit from pole to pole     
兩極猶如漆黑地窖
I thank whatever gods may be       
我感謝未知的上帝
For my unconquerable soul.         
賦予我不敗的心靈
In the fell clutch of circumstance     
即使環境險惡危急
I have not winced nor cried aloud.    
我不會退縮或哭嚎
Under the bludgeonings of chance    
立於時機的脅迫下
My head is bloody, but unbowed.     
血流滿面我不屈服
Beyond this place of wrath and tears   
超越這般悲憤交集
Looms but the Horror of the shade     
恐怖陰霾獨步逼近
And yet the menace of the years       
歲月威脅揮之不去
Finds and shall find me unafraid.      
我終究會無所畏懼
It matters not how strait the gate       
縱然通道多麼險狹
How charged with punishments the scroll
儘管嚴懲綿延不盡
I am the master of my fate:            
我是我命運的主人
I am the captain of my soul.
            我是我心靈的統帥

 

註:曼德拉找來法蘭索瓦皮納爾領導他的球隊邁向崇高境界。他引述一首詩,這首詩正是曼德拉在長年服刑期間受到鼓舞和堅定的來源,詩名是《Invictus》(《打不倒的勇者》的英文片名;後文有完整詩篇和譯文),由威廉亨利(William Ernest Henley)所撰。詩作標題「Invictus」是拉丁文,可翻譯成「unconqueredinvincible」(無法征服的、無敵的)。

 

 



gotop